The term "solicitation" in the context of Government procurement is a generic term that is used to describe requests to submit offers or quotations to the Government.
- Solicitations under Simplified Acquisition Procedures are called RFQs (Request for Quotation).
- Solicitations under Sealed Bid procedures are called IFBs (Invitation for Bid).
- Solicitations under competitive or negotiated procedures are called RFPs (Request for Proposal)
The term "offer" means a response to a solication that, if accepted, would bind the offeror to perform the resultant contract.
- Responses to RFQs are called "quotations".
- Responses to IFBs are called "bids" or "sealed bids"
- Responses to RFPs are called "proposals"
On a related note, if you ever need to look up a military acronym or definition, one of the best websites we have found for that purpose is military-dictionary.org.